Volunteer to join the Christkindlmarkt excitement! The Carmel Christkindlmarkt is a 501C3 nonprofit and we need volunteers to help!
Check out all of the ways that you can be involved by clicking the link below.
Ages 15-18 are also welcome to volunteer with parental permission.
Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form
The Carmel Christkindlmarkt is continuing the Christkind essay contest for the third year in a row. This essay contest is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in the Carmel Christkindlmarkt, and carry the honor of bringing a popular German tradition to Carmel, Indiana.
The Christkind is a well-known symbol of Christmas in German speaking countries. As the tradition goes, the Christkind angel delivers Christmas presents and a Christmas tree to German children on Christmas Eve, without being seen.
In Germany, the Christkind starts the Christmas season by opening the famous Nuernberger Christkindlmarkt. The Carmel Christkindlmarkt Christkind shares Christmas cheer with guests throughout the Carmel Christkindlmarkt by welcoming visitors, giving candy and gifts, and taking photos with market-goers. The Carmel Christkindlmarkt Christkind also participates in special events and media activities throughout the year such as participating in parades.
- High School and College students
- Minimum 500 word essay
- 2-3 Pictures of yourself
- Can commit to making at minimum 20, 2-hour appearances between Nov. 16 and Dec. 24
- Must be willing to be present for the Grand Opening at noon on November 16th, for other special events, and for media appearances.
- Winners of the Second Prize and Third Prize may be asked to participate at special events and media appearances.
Include a cover page with the following information:
- Full Name
- Mailing Address
- Telephone Number
- Email Address
- Date of Birth
- High School Attended or Attending
- High School Graduation Year College or University Attending or Planning to Attend
- College or University Graduation Year
- German Linguistic and Cultural Experience
Many American Christmas traditions originated in Germany.
Write a 500-word essay about how German immigrants influenced modern day Christmas culture in the United States.
Please submit a PDF of your cover page and essay with the subject "Christkind Contest" to firstname.lastname@example.org by Oct. 15.