The Carmel Christkindlmarkt is introducing a new essay and scholarship contest for the 2023 Market season! The Kulturecke Docent Scholarship Program is a fantastic opportunity to get involved in the Carmel Christkindlmarkt and partner with us in bringing history and cultural awareness to Carmel, Indiana.
Our Market partnered with the Indiana German Heritage Society and the Indiana Historical Society to bring our guests the Kulturecke in 2019. A space to explore Indiana's rich German-American history, this museum allows guests to learn how German immigrants contributed to the State of Indiana through business, education, architecture and even Christmas traditions.
As part of this experience, the Kulturecke Docent will wear a special outfit, be present in the hut to welcome visitors, and provide helpful and interesting facts found in the Kulturecke. We’ll make sure you’ll have what you need to succeed.
- High School and College students
- Minimum 500 word essay
- Interview with the IGHS Education Committee
- Can commit to a minimum of 20, 2-hour shifts in the Kulturecke between Nov. 18 and Dec. 24
- Must be able to attend the Grand Opening Ceremony on Saturday, Nov. 18
- 2nd and 3rd prize winners may be asked to volunteer in the Kulturecke during Market hours
Include a cover page with the following information:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- Telephone number
- Email address
- Date of birth
- High school attended or attending
- High school graduation year
- College or university attending or planning to attend
- College or university graduation year
- German linguistic and cultural experience
German immigrants have made significant contributions to culture and traditions in the State of Indiana. In 500 words, describe a German cultural tradition that you see alive in the state today, and why you think it has remained an impactful part of Hoosier living history.Please submit a PDF of your cover page and essay with the subject "Kulturecke Docent Scholarship Program" to Volunteers@carmelchristkindlmarkt.com by Oct. 15, 2023.